Price reduced - was $549. Free shipping within the continental US!
Vintage 17-fret openback tenor banjo, set up for standard tuning (CGDA). It is stamped "Maybell" on the dowelstick, but according to our senior luthier who evaluated and refurbished the banjo, it was not made by Slingerland. It could have been likely made by Oscar Schmidt, but we do not know for sure. This instrument was one of many that came to us from a large estate collection.
It has a 17-fret laminate synthetic fretboard, 10 7/8" rim, birds-eye veneer, b-w-b stripes inlaid, 20 round hooks, hex shoes, mother-of-pearl dot & block inlays. The friction tuners (likely original) work well. Our luthier performed an extensive refurbishment which included the following:
- Complete disassembly, new fiberskyn head, all parts cleaned & polished.
- fill gaps in rim veneer, sand & oil-finish rim
- reset dowel stick
- refit neck brace & fit 2 ebony wedges
- fabricate bone nut
- tailpiece & bridge replaced
- setup for standard tuning, including fret dressing & reglue sections of fingerboard
Will be packed securely with extra material for shipping. We also ship banjos with the bridge secured flat to the head, for additional safety during the shipping process.