Services : Rentals
Band & orchestra instrument rentals in partnership with NEMC can still be rented online. It's preferred that you use the ship-to-home option, and NEMC will ship your instrument directly to you. Click here to begin a rental for a band or orchestra instrument.
Need to return a band or orchestra instrument rented under the NEMC program? We are offering curbside dropoff by appointment for rental returns. Book an appointment here. You may also Email NEMC directly or call them at 1-800-526-4593 to discuss options for shipping your rental return directly back to their facility.
If you would like to rent one of the other "folk instruments" listed below, please email us or call with your request. We have limited availability of these instruments (rentals are in high demand right now), but pending availability, we can arrange a curbside pickup at our shop (or home delivery for an additional fee) and will contact you to set up your contract and credit card payment.
In addition to selling and repairing musical instruments, we also rent instruments, P.A. systems and pro audio gear (with or without a sound engineer) to local customers.
For pro audio rental inquiries please contact us.
For school band & orchestra instrument rentals, click here.
The following instruments are available for rent through our direct store rental program:
- 5-string Banjos -- various openback & resonator
- 4-string Tenor Banjo -- Irish tuning
- Button Accordion -- 3-row GCF Chinese made
- Concertina -- 20-button Anglo, 30-button Anglo & 48-button English
- Folk Harps -- Folkcraft 22-string Erin (no sharping levers) and Dusty Strings 26-string Ravenna (sharping levers on C&F)
- Hammered Dulcimers -- Dusty Strings Apprentice (12/11)
- Guitars -- various steel-string and nylon string, acoustic-electric option, full size & 3/4 size
- Mandolins -- A-style and F-style
- Piano Accordions: -- 120-bass, 48-bass (Chinese-made red pearl) & 16-bass.
We sometimes have a waiting list for rental instruments, so contact us to check availability before coming in.
We occasionally do short-term rentals on other types of instruments. Contact us with your needs.
(NOTE: these terms do not apply to school band instrument rentals)
- Fee: $60.00 plus Maryland state sales tax
- Rental period: 2 months. Shorter rentals may be possible at a lower rate; please contact us for details. The 2-month rental period is designed for new players to try out an instrument and decide whether they want to purchase that type of instrument. If you wish, you may re-rent for another two months if we don't have anyone on a waiting list. However, $60.00 is the maximum rental credit that can be applied toward purchase (this is not a rent-to-own program).
- Rental fee may be applied towards purchase of the same type of instrument (i.e. if you rent a guitar, you can only use your credit towards purchasing a guitar). Generally, rental instruments are not available for sale; you would purchase any other instrument we have in stock.
- Credit card required for security against the instrument. We do not charge your credit card, but we make a manual imprint of it for the value of the instrument. This imprint is destroyed when you return the instrument in good condition. If you do not have a credit card, we can accept a cash deposit for the value of the instrument..
- State-issued ID required at time of rental
For further information on the HMT Rental Program, please contact us via email or call 301-270-9090.
Rental Credit Details:
- Credit valid within 2 months of rental return, towards the same type of instrument.
- Rental instruments are not for sale.
Damage, Repairs and Late Fees:
If your rental instrument is not functioning properly due to a defect with the instrument, bring it back and we will repair the instrument or give you a different one. Customer will be held liable for damage due to accident, misuse or neglect. "Normal wear & tear," such as light scratches on the finish, is not considered damage.
Late fees accumulate at a rate of $2 per day if the instrument is not returned by the due date on your contract. If you discover you will have a problem returning the instrument by the due date, please contact us to work something out.
School Band and Orchestra Instruments:
We currently recommend following the link below to rent online and choosing the ship-to-home option. NEMC (our fulfillment partner) will ship your instrument directly to your home. If you prefer, you may pick up your rental instrument at our shop.
We have partnered with the National Educational Musical Company (NEMC) to bring you a competitive rental program with high quality, name-brand instruments for band and orchestra. Read on for more details, or click here to begin your rental online!
Our 2-month trial period special is in effect!
2-month trial period cost: $15.00 (plus tax). Optional Damage Waiver is FREE for first 2 months! Total 2-month cost with tax & damage waiver: $15.90
2-month trial period cost: $30.00 (plus tax). Optional Damage Waiver is FREE for first 2 months! Total 2-month cost with tax & damage waiver: $31.80
- alto saxophone
2-month trial period cost: $69.00 (plus tax). Optional Damage Waiver is FREE for first 2 months! Total 2-month cost with tax & damage waiver: $73.14
- tenor saxophone